Friday, April 24, 2015

How to get up early....And get your workout in!!!





As a mom of 4 getting a workout in can be a bit of a circus!!!! You know what I mean...kid hanging on your leg song and dance juggling act!??  Did you see my CIZE video they other day!!!?  Exactly! But Sometimes you just gotta fit it in anywhere you can!! 

Yet, I have learned (after much experience) that I am a much happier mom if I get up and get in my workout early. It saves my sanity ...and amplifies my patience! #truth

Yes...sometimes getting up early means I don't get a ton of sleep.  Sure there are days I miss my early wake up call if I need to catch up...usually after traveling, or being sick, or multiple nights with kids up all night.  
But honestly...after becoming a mom of 4...endless nights of lost sleep... I realzed that even on night the kids don't get up...I WORRY about my kids in my sleep!!! 

It's just never going to be perfect!!!! 
I'm never going to be perfectly rested....ever. 

So here are some of the things I have learned do to that help ME just get up ..and get it done!!!!

1. Alarm!!!! Set it...far far away from you!!!

Set your alarm .....and put it across the room!!! I mean waaaaay out of reach of the sleepy snooze snatch.  (You know what I'm talking about!!  That arm that flails around in the dark and smacks the phone till it shuts up!!)
   Tip:  If you have to get OUT of bed to turn it off...you've already greatly increased your chances of not pressing snooze!! Bonus!

I have 2 alarms depending on what workout I have planned. If I'm running and lifting ...I get up earlier.  If I'm just doing a shorter workout like INSANITY max : 30... I sleep in....a whole half hour!!!

The other alarms are to wake my kids up for school!!....which also gives me a good visual reminder that this is my time for me!! So the clock is ticking. No time to waste!!! Get up and GO!!!!

2. Headphones in.....Brain on!!!




Once that alarm goes off ...my brain is awake. I remind myself that even if I try to go back to sleep....it's not the same kind of deep sleep anyway.  Right?!! Sleeping when you know your snooze is going off in T-7 minutes just makes me anticipate the alarm.  So..just get up!  
 
As soon as I'm up I put in my headphones and listen to a personal development book!!  It focuses my BRAIN and my ATTITUDE!! (Because attitude matters..at least that's what I preach to my kids!! 😜)

You can play your favorite music, audiobook or podcast.  Even YouTube has tons of motivational videos!!!! 
Learn to start your day by growing your brain...even if your body is slow to get moving!!  

3. Zip it!!!
I hate being cold!!!!  So I always dress in layers!!!  Get up and get dressed!!!!!  Layers warm you up so you don't get the urge to crawl back into your warm bed!!!

This almost always includes a hat!!! You loose most your heat from your head!!! Just a heads up!!  So zip up, hat on..and you'll warm up faster!

4. Pick up you QUICK me Up!!!! 


I never feel great working out hard on an empty stomach!!!  So find something the gives you a quick boost!!!

For me it's usually E&E (energy and endurance) mixed in my water and 1/2 a banana for a boost of vitamins, natural sugar and yes...caffeine #yawn!!!
  Other people love to start their day with a cup of cofee!!!  Find what works for you!!! 

Make it a habit!!  Your brain and your body will quickly get accustomed to your ritual signals that mean "GO" 

5. Find a workout you love!!!! 💜💜💜



 I don't care what it is....there IS a workout out there that you can enjoy!!!  
And if you LOVE it...you're more likely to get up and DO IT!! 

Maybe it's just walking!!! Walk for 10 minutes before you get into more intense cardio or start weight training. Starting with what you LOVE first will get you moving and kickstart your fitness routine. 

For me personally..I love to lift.  So on dark Oregon mornings...I LIFTHEAVY with Body beast then add in my cardio when the sun comes up.  

The trick is finding something you look FORWARD to!!!  
Do you love to Dance? Lift Weights?? Go Running?!? 

There is something you can love ....and call it a workout!!!! I call it your "soul mate workout" 

Need help finding your "soul mate workout" ?!!!  Let me know!!!.... I've pretty much tried them ALL!! 

Last one.....

6. Walk Each Step in Gratitude! 

I've been working hard on this one!!!  What if every step we took we repeated in our mind something we were grateful for!!  
Hard?!?  Maybe at first.  But the more you practice..the more things you start to find !!  Like the little freckles accross your little boys nose.... Or the way the dew shimmers on the grass in the early morning.

Gratitude in each step...for everything good, and beautiful in your life, will set you in the mindset to have a great day...everyday.  

It doesn't just motivate you to get your workout in...but helps you see that the ability you HAVE to workout, to be healthy, to be ALIVE is a gift!!!

Walk every step by repeating in your mind something to be grateful for...and your life becomes so FULL of joy...that you can't wait to get upbraid GO!!!

Hope this helps you find your inner early bird!

xoxo

Missy
@rockitMOMfitness

No comments:

Post a Comment